- Listing Policy
211 Ontario and its affiliates collect, maintain and disseminate human service information that enables people to make informed choices to improve their quality of life.
Inclusion in the database of human services listed on the Website is free and is not dependent upon the purchase of a membership, products or separate advertising space from 211 Ontario or any of its affiliates.
Subject to the priorities detailed in the next section, the database includes organizations or programs primarily located in or serving the area that:
- Provide a direct service to the public
- Are networks or coalitions of direct service providers
- Are involved in licensing, planning or coordinating direct services
- Are not-for-profit, community-based or government organizations
- Are commercial organizations that provide first priority services not offered by the nonprofit sector
- Are commercial organizations licenced by the government or with special contractual agreements to operate long term care facilities, child care centres and certain home care services
Organizations must demonstrate the ability to provide ongoing reliable services and have an established funding base or the support of an established parent organization. Exceptions may be made in emerging or underfunded service areas.
- First and Second Priorities
It is the policy of 211 Ontario to set first and second priorities for the listing of services on the Website. For first-priority areas, every effort is made to have comprehensive listings of all eligible services. For second-priority areas, collection depends on local data partner practices, staff resources, agreements with other agencies, and the ability of other agencies to collect and disseminate information. Rather than collect comprehensive information in second-priority areas, 211 Ontario may collect information regarding representative or umbrella groups, or refer Users to other telephone or Internet-based services.
211 Ontario gives first priority to basic subsistence and survival related services, including:
- Food, clothing and shelter
- Emergency assistance
- Crisis intervention
- Financial assistance
- Legal and correctional services
- Victim services
- Immigrant and refugee services
- Physical and mental health services
- Employment and training services
- Home support
- Public and specialized transportation
- Child care
- Access to permanent affordable housing
211 Ontario also gives first priority to services for people who may experience barriers to service because of:
- Language spoken
- Ethnocultural group
- Age, including risk factors associated with infants, children, youth or seniors
- Low income, unemployment or lack of education or literacy
- Physical, mental or developmental disabilities
- Homelessness or social isolation
- Immigration or refugee status
- Fear of violence
211 Ontario gives second priority to the following quality of life services, unless they are for people who may experience barriers to service:
- Consumer assistance
- Peace and disarmament
- International development
211 Ontario reserves the right to exclude from the database any organization that it has, in its own discretion, adequate reason to believe may spread hatred or have a philosophy that could be hurtful to the well-being of individuals, groups or the community as a whole.
Potential grounds for exclusion or removal from the database may include, but is not limited to, service non-delivery, fraud, misrepresentation, discrimination, criminal activities, or operating outside licensing mandates.
211 Ontario reserves the right to refuse to list or to discontinue listings for organizations that have had serious complaints lodged against them with any regulatory body or with other organizations in the database providing similar services, or with 211 Ontario itself.
Decisions to include, exclude, or remove a service listing may be appealed by writing to 211 Ontario or its affiliates after a reasonable attempt has been made to resolve the issue with the editorial staff.
Note: Policies for each data region within 211 Southwest may vary slightly. Contact us for more information.